Problems with fscanf

Hello.

I'm trying to parse some XML files to get all in only one file, deleting the
first and last tag when needed. But when i try to read a line like this:

<ARTIST>The Communards</ARTIST>

with the code line:

fscanf($fr,"%s")

the output is the following:

<ARTIST>The

And i want to retrieve all the line without doing something like this:

fscanf($fr,"%s/t%s")

Because I have to adapt this line to the maximum spaces existing in a line
of the file... There isn't another better solution? Thank you :)