To: "Daniel Anderson" <shadowedmyth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "php-windows" <php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:53 PM
Subject: Re:  Reverse DNS/IP

Daniel,

I don't think this is going to help you much. Most ISPs assign unique DNS names to each IP address, so you'd end up with something like:
  92-18-36-1.wsip.mysip.com
the first time they come in, and
  92-18-36-2.wsip.mysip.com
the next time ... if you ban based on DNS name, you're still hosed since they correlate exactly (1:1) to the respective IP addresses.

-- Mitch

Daniel Anderson wrote:
Hi guys,

Question:
I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to find the reverse IP/DNS address of a computer please?

Reason:
I ask this because I wish to produce a 'ban' list of users on a forum who persistantly cause problems, banning specific IPs is an option, but at the moment is not effective because the IP address of one specific user changes, they have a dynamic IP which means they are either using Dial-Up, or specifically paying with their ISP to have their IP refreshed every computer log-in (or Internet box reset).

IT's all well and good using $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]; to help use as a "ban" function, but if the IP keeps moving all the time, it isn't working. So we need to result to a Reverse DNS which doesn't change, it remains the same.

Question:
Is there a way of finding the Reverse DNS address through PHP please?

Thanks for you