cookies time?

Well, reading the documentation about cookies i saw that the function time()
works using UNIX epochs. If I try to use this function (or mktime) in
windows, the php shows a white page, like there's an error somewhere.

It's a problem with windows machine's or there's another solution to this?

Meanwhile, I put no time option (so cookie expires at the end of the
session) but i would like to try to set up a timeout.

I don't demand absolute solutions, I only want a clue to work on.

Thank you :)