Differences between debug and release?

I have built my own version of PHP on Windows (CLI) that enables sockets
and soap.  I did all of my testing using a version I compiled with
--enable-debug, and it seems to be working just fine.  When I switch to
the non-debug build, however, I'm having trouble with a lot of my scripts.

Here's a quick sample of what is failing:

putenv("PHP_BOB=Bob Jones");
With --enable-debug, this sets this environment variable for the duration
of my script.  Without --enable-debug, it returns true but appears to have
no effect.

exec( "dir", $out ); var_dump( $out );
With --enable-debug, this prints out the output array $out which
containst the results of the "dir" command.  Without --enable-debug, I'm
getting an empty array.

I have tried searching the online documentation and have set
safe_mode_allowed_env_vars and safe_mode_protected_env_vars, but I can't
seem to make these simple statements work with my non-debug version of
PHP.  Can anyone help me out?

Tim Larsen
Novell, Inc.