PHP, MySQL and Active Directory

I've got PHP 4 set up on Server 2003. My LAN is running active directory.

Whenever I try to a mysql_connect, something (PHP I assume) tacks on a
hostname of the local computer.

$link = mysql_connect('myserver', 'user', 'password');

Besides the old password authentication password problem (which is not what
this post is about)

I get errors saying that access is denied for user@WORKSTATION.

First off, there is no user@WORKSTATION because I don't use local user
accounts with active directory running. So why is the NetBIOS name of my
workstation being attached to my username?

Even if I put in my hostname...

$link = mysql_connect('myserver', 'user@xxxxxxxxxxxx', 'password');

Then it complains about user@xxxxxxxxxxxx@WORKSTATION.

If I try running the page on the server, then it tacks the entire fully
qualified domain name of the computer :
user@xxxxxxxxxxxx@myserver.mylan.mydomain.com.

I don't have to explain to you guys that an active directory account is the
same account regardless of what computer I log onto and (apparently) PHP has
absolutely no regard for this. It seems to think that any user on any
computer needs a specific user and hostname....

Very frustrating! Anyone deal with this before?