Problem compiling a custom extension

I am able to compile PHP, but I am trying to create an extension ( following zend's hello world tutorial ) and the configure step will not recognize my enable command.

I'm working with: PHP5.1 and have tried both win2k3/vs.net and winxp/vsc++6 with the exact same results.

My file structure looks like this:

c:\phpdev\php5.1\ext\hello\hello.h
c:\phpdev\php5.1\ext\hello\hello.c
c:\phpdev\php5.1\ext\hello\config.m4

According to the PHP documentation, I should be able to run the following command:

cscript /nologo configure.js --enable-hello=shared

I have also tried --enable-hello=yes, and --enable-hello=
c:\phpdev\php5.1\ext\hello,shared

All attempts result in the same configuration error:

"C:\phpdev\php5.1>cscript /nologo configure.js --enable-hello=shared
Unknown option --enable-hello; please try configure.js --help for a list of valid options"

When I run configure.js --help, I do not see --enable-hello as an option.

Is there a step I'm missing that will allow my configuration to recognize my new extension so I can compile it?

Thanks in advance