Re: Re: Cookie Problems on Localhost

On 23 Feb 2005 M. Sokolewicz wrote:

> both 'localhost' and any ip are not accepted as valid
> domain-identifiers in cookies (as per RFC). This simply means you're
> best off leaving them empty.

As far as I can tell this is incorrect.  I think the relevant RFCs are
2109 and 2695.  Both strongly discourage the use of IP addresses for
the cookie domain when a fully qualified name is available but both
also explicitly state that either domain name or IP is allowed.  There
is no restriction stated on localhost.

I did find some online mentions that MSIE under WinXP will not store a
cookie for any domain pointing to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) regardless of
the name.  But this appears to be a bug, not a feature.

--
Tom