Remote Procedure Call Failed

Hello,

I am building a login system for my website but I keep experiencing an error
on a specific PHP page that I have never encountered before and it seems
worryingly low-level!  It says:

"The remote procedure call failed."

And that's it!  Nothing else is on the page.  Sometimes I get a slightly
different (but equally scary) error:

"PHP has encountered a Stack overflow"

I've googled these errors and some people have posted them but I found no
solution.  I've searched the PHP bug database but found nothing.  Has anyone
else encountered this and is there a solution?

FYI:

Other (more simple) PHP scripts work fine (so my PHP installation seems to
be ok) and this error only started happening last week.

I haven't changed this PHP/MySQL installation in months.

I'm testing my script on a (Windows) server in my office on which this error
occurs.  When I upload it to a second remote (Linux) test server it works
fine!

Office Server: Windows 2000 Server + IIS 5.1, PHP Version 4.3.9 (Zend Engine
v1.3.0), MySQL 3.23.49.

Remote Server: Linux + Apache, PHP Version 4.1.2 (Zend Engine v1.1.1), MySQL
3.23.39.

Any ideas gratefully received!  Thanks,

Alex