Problems with CreateProcess and php-win.exe

I'm trying to launch php-win.exe via CreateProcess and whilst I can get
it to lauch and execute my PHP code without a problem I can't get the
PHP code to use things like socket functions etc. Its as if WINSOCK
isn't initialized.

However if I execute exactly the same command from a console window the
php executes perfectly.

I'm guessing its some sort of security issue but haven't managed to
track it down yet. Has anyone got any ideas?
System is XP Professional and PHP 5.0.3

Mike Marshall