Really Super Dumb MSSQL (NOTE: Microsoft SQL) Question

I feel stupid asking this but I did a quick search and couldn't find an
answer.

When I write a simple query to query MSSQL...is there a simple way to know
if the query executed without error?  I'm looking to do a simple if then
statment to inform the user if the database information was added
successfully to the database.

if I do an:

echo $result = mssql_query($query);

I get a resource ID... is it safe to assume that if a resourceID is
returned that I can print a success message?

Ron