RE: Timer in Safe Mode

In your php.ini file there's a directive called max_execution_time (in
seconds) - so you don't have to worry about any "forever-running" scripts -
PHP will kill them if they go on past that point anyhow.

Check out the phpinfo() output if you don't have direct access to your
php.ini file - this should be sufficient.

-M