Re: Substr function

In addition to substr() and explode() already mentioned, check out some of these:

basename() - Returns filename component of path
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.basename.php

strrpos() - Find position of last occurrence of a char in a string
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.strrpos.php

$filepath = "/something/somethingelse/filename.ext";

You could use basename() to get the full filename with exension then use
  $basename = basename($filepath);

Or you could use:

  $basename = substr(strrpos($filepath,"/")+1);

Then use:
  list($file,$ext) = explode(".",$basename);
.. to get your extension.

I think that's right.  If you don't do the +1, I believe you'll get the "/" in your filename and you don't want that part.

I think basename() is probably your best bet if you have the full file path to start with.  substr() works great if you know where to split the string but using PHP's functions to their fullest capability is always good tood.

Good luck!  HTH!

-TG
*** new email address tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*** old email address tgryffyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Stupid Chapter 11)