What's wrong with these two programs?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the two following
programs?  The first (whatsName.html) is straight
HTML, and is supposed to build a form that asks a
question.  The second program, (hiUser.php) is
supposed to read the value input by the user, and
process it.  I'm not having any trouble with the first
program, but when the second program runs, it prints
out code, rather than getting the result that it is
supposed to get.

Have I linked the two programs in the wrong way, or
something like that?  BTW, both of these programs are
sample programs from the book, "PHP 5/MySQL
Programming for the Absolute Beginner."

Here are the two programs:

1.)  whatsName.html:

<head>
<title>What's your name?</title>
</head>

<h1>What's your name?</h1>
<h3>Writing a form for user input</h3>

  <form method = "post"
        action = "hiUser.php">
  Please type your name:
  <input type = "text"
  name = "userName"
  value = "">

   <input type = "submit">

   </form>

Here is program #2.) hiUser.php:

<head>
<title>Hi User</title>
</head>
<h1>Hi User</h1>
<h3>PHP program that receives a value from
"whatsName"</h3>

<?
  print "<h3>Hi there, $userName!</h3>";

?>