RE: How can I?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here, but let me take a shot:

Do you want the scripts in, say, your index.php's to know what folder
they're in and act accordingly?

So you'd essentially have exactly the same index.php in every folder,
but they would do different things depending on if they were in
/company/ or in /customer/ or in /tips/?

If so, you could get the SCRIPT_NAME from the server variables, then use
the dirname() function and some parsing to get the last directory name
in the path.  But that seems to lead to the "too many SWITCH statements"
thing that you're trying to avoid.

Maybe if you could clarify what you're trying to do, it might help us
determine the best course of action.

-TG