Re: php-windows Digest 8 Nov 2004 03:10:01 -0000 Issue 2459

George,
At first glance this sounds slow, but with databases disk performance and RAM are often
far more important than CPU, your laptop may be a bad guide.

Having said that, I suggest you run your queries in the MySQL command-line tool and use the
"Explain Select ..." function to look at how your queries are being executed. Sometimes you find
an index is not being used, and a restructure of the query can give you a big performance gain.

Regards; Colin

Subject: Performance question? From: "George Pitcher" <george.pitcher@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:53:36 -0000 To: <php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To:
<php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I'm currently rebuilding a site previously constructed using
Lasso/Filemaker. I'm using PHP5/MySQL4/PEAR::DB and Smarty.

The site holds course content information for universities and colleges.

My first page after logging on displays courses for the user. This lists
relevant courses, their status and some stats for items that require
attention.

This involves one SQL query to a course table containing 3,100 records, and
in my sample returned 4 records. The stats and status data require another
12 SQL queries to a transaction table containing over 32,000 records. In
both these tables, I have indexed all the columns.

My testing this weekend is producing disappointing results with the page
taking between 20 and 50 seconds to appear.

I'm running this on a fairly fast laptop with XP, IIS5, using the ISAPI
method. The deployment is going to be on slower NT servers.

Does anyone have any tips to improve performance?

MTIA

George