Re: Sending mail through localhost

Hello,

On 09/17/2004 04:52 AM, W Roothman wrote:
Dear All,

Do I need to install a mail server, such as ArGoSoft Mail Server, on my computer (MS XP) in order to prevent this error when sending mail through a form (ref: N: Mail functions, PHP manual):

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for me@xxxxxxxxxxxxx in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\......sendfeeback.php on line 22

That message means that you need to authenticate to relay the message to your SMTP server. The mail function does not support authentication.

You may want to try this class that comes with a wrapper function named smtp_mail() . It works exactly like the mail() function but it lets you configure the authetication credential so you can relay your messages.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

You also need this:

http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass

--