From: Paul Menard [mailto:paulmenard1@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 2:29 PM
To: Jim MacDiarmid; php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Php5 merging with Java???

I cannot speak for the direction of PHP since I am not part of that
development. I am just a PHP developer like yourself. But if you are
referring to the Developer Shed Plug-in article

http://www.developershed.com/plugin/PlugIn_magazine_september2004.pdf#page=9

I would not worry too much. DevShed is a M$ shop and tends to at time slant
articles on the negative about open source tools. In an attempt to sway
folks to use ASP.Net and C# I'm guessing.
I have see no announcement from PHP about this. Pure speculation.

But you have to wonder...PHP is rally part of the Apache group. So it Tomcat
and many other fine Java packages. So why not a closer integration?

Then again the deal mentioned in the Dev Shed article about a proprietary
PHP for use by Sun is no different than Red Hat taking their product to a
more marketable direction. Same goes for MySQL.
They both still offer the free open source versions. But there is a non-Open
source version with 'special' features as well.

Paul