PHP Related Questions

Hi, I am relatively new to PHP and brand new to PHP interacting with databases.  I will do my development on my WinXP Home laptop and host my actual site at a Linux based hosting service.

I have two questions.

First, Has anybody had any success installing apache 1.3.31 as a module for WinXP Home Edition?  I've followed the instructions outlined here

http://us4.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php

and

http://us4.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.apache1.php

to a "T."  The result is that my web browser gives me a "download or open" dialogue box b/c it doesn't recognize PHP extensions.  I have since configured PHP as CGI, but I understand that one can't have a persistent database connection with a CGI set up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, I am trying to DBG debugger to work with PHP Coder.  I followed the DBG instructions, however, I get a whole bunch of nothing when I run "debugger" from PHP Coder.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.