File permissions in XP

I can't figure out how to define permissions so that php scripts running
under an apache server can create files in a directory.  When I browse the
directory with the explorer, I notice the read only attribute is set and I
can't seem to clear it in windows xp professional, even with the dos attrib
command.  I'm not sure this is related to my problem but it seem logical to
me.  What am I missing?

Warren Vail