Custom php Errorhandling assistance

Hi everyone,

I'm a little, well... Ok.. maybe a lot confused on errorhandling in PHP.
I'm not sure how custom errorhandling works and I'm hoping someone can help
me or point me in the right direction.

Here is a little background on the project.  I've been asked to do a single
dynamic page which could potentially reside on an IIS 5 box with Windows
2000.  The page's main purpose is to display the names of users that are
currently logged into a chat room, and/or what rooms they are in. In order
to display this information, a Win32 console-based application polls the
chat room server and redirects the output to a text file. I use php to parse
the information I need. As it stands now, my php application page errors out
completely and displays nothing in the web browser if the generated file is
empty. I have 2 files that are included on my application page: common.php
and utilities.php. Common.php is a common utilities file that contains a
custom Read_File() function that accepts the generated text file as a
parameter. It reads in the data and returns a string with the generated
file's content. The utilities.php file contains a custom function I call
"import_user_data()" which conditionally imports the generated data for
multiple server data files. If data was successfully read in, the import
function separates the string of data into an array and strips off junk data
in the first and last elements of the array. The function then exits for
further processing.  Now I'd like to be able to display a custom error page
at any stage during processing in the event an error occurs but I'm not sure
how to go about this. I'd like to be able to send a simple email to the
administrator, log the error,  and display a message to the user without
interrupting the flow of the page.  This should be fairly straight forward
since it's only 3 php files involved.  Any info you can give is of course
very appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jim