phpBB, PHP5, MySQL 4, and IIS 6

Guys -- I'm getting a headache trying to install phpBB.  I have IIS 6
(Win2K3), PHP 5, MySQL 4.  Every install has the same result -- "The PHP
configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you
chose"

I've d/led the PHP 5 patched version -- same results.

I've enabled the php_mysqli extension in PHP.INI and DISabled the php_mysql
extension -- same result.

I've played with permissions to no avail and so on.  Always the same result.

I've even moved DLLs to the system32 folder, updated permissions on the
various folders as recommended, and so on.

 Anyone have any suggestions?