file self check

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how one would write a php script that would check
itself, if it has been tempered with before running, and if it has would not
work.

I have seen Perl scripts that work in such a why, that is you edit only 1
char in the file and it will not run anymore, but I couldn't figure out
how that was done.

Anyone ever done this with PHP before? Is it even possible?

cheers,

Ben