mysql 4.0.12 + php5 + WindowXP = problem

Hello everyone

  I have a strange problem with freshly installed php5, 5.0 final. I
did some web searching and found out how to get php_mysql.dll loaded
into php - I needed to copy libmysql do windows\system32 and uncomment
extension=php_mysql.dll
  But whenever I try to connect to local mysql server, it just says it
cannot connect. Not that authorization failed, wrong password etc, but
cannot connect. sql.safemode is off.
  If I try same with php4, same username / password etc, everything
works.
  I tried both mysql and mysqli versions, both failed. Tried with
libmysql.dll from mysql distribution, but then php cannot even load
php_mysql.dll so I use one that came with php5. I found somewhere that
it has to do with differences between mysql3 and mysql4 versions of
libmysql.dll (two functions are removed from dll in newer version). One
that comes with php5 is some 3.52.whatever version of mysqlclient
library, I think.

  So, what am I doing wrong? Do I need another version of
php_mysql.dll?

  Thanx in advance.

Boban.