php installation problem

Hello list,
While installing php....after i have configured everything, i am not able to get php running. While trying to run a test page consisting of the code:
<?php
 echo "Hello!";
 php?>

I get a dialog box saying that "You have chosen to download a file from this location". Upon opening the file, i get the whole code and not just "Hello".

   Please can you tell me what went wrong. I am using PHP 4.3.4, Apache 1.3.2. and Windows 2000.

Also can u please tell me how do u know that php has been installed in my PC. While double clicking php.exe, a window gets opened and nothing seems to happen with it. We have to close it manually. Is it unusual or is it supposed to be like that only. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
penjo