Re: Feature request for PHP on windows

"Court Shrock" <ShrockC@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:34BE3D00EBB5E84C9CAD0C08899D873A02451A82@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> How about using the registry to store the location of the php.ini.  It
could
> default to c:\windows for backward compatibility. I currently have
multiple
> versions of PHP setup on the same system.  This works fine, as long as I
> don't use the ISAPI module because the path to php.ini is hardcoded to
> c:\windows with the dll.  I'd like to test ISAPI configurations before
> "going live" but still have the ability to easily maintain/update to newer
> versions of PHP.
>
> The folks at Zend have done exactly that in their bundled version of PHP.

NO, NO, please NO!

No registry!

God please, No!

I have a complete Apache, Perl, mySQL and PHP install on my NT (works 2k and
XP BTW) and I have NO registry settings! None! I don't want them!

I back up my G volume to CD, and when my windows box dies (which it does all
too often) all I have to do is restore from the CD, add some env vars and
I'm in business!

Now, if Windows PHP would be made "smart" enough to look in it's current dir
FIRST for its INI, then I, and others, can run multiple versions of PHP
without a problem.

Why this was not done in the first place I have no idea. I just figured the
guys who made it had a real good, windows limiting, reason for doing what
they did. (I hope)

So please, I vote -1 on a registry setting.

BTW: add the env var PHPRC with the path to your PHP install and PHP will
look there for the INI. But again, this only works for a single PHP install.

Walter