configuration mime type problem

Hi, hoping someone can point me to the
correct part of the FAQ or otherwise help me solve this.

Installed the PHP binaries as per the instructions, and configured the httpd.conf for apache 1.3,

once i restarted apache, I tested with the standard hello.php page indicated on the tutorial.

The browsers, both IE and mozilla do not recognise the .php mime type or file extention and are attempting to download the file rather than render the page.
I'm pretty sure I followed the install instructions to the letter, but maybe i srewed something up.

Thanks for any insight.