Best way to tell how many rows a query returns

Hi folks,

I'm using a mysql query with a LIMIT clause. The problem is I would like to know how many rows WOULD have matched had the limit clause not been in place. I realise that any solution is going to involve some over-head, but what's the most efficient way to find out?

eg.

SELECT * FROM table WHERE conditions LIMIT 30,30

Say there are 200 records that match 'conditions', only 30 rows are returned (of course). How do I find out the total number (200 in this case) that matched the conditions?

Any ideas?

. Ross Honniball                  JCU Bookshop Cairns Supervisor
. James Cook Uni, McGreggor Rd, Smithfield, Qld. 4878, Australia
. Ph:07.4042.1157  Fx:07.4042.1158   Em:ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
. There are no problems. Only solutions.