Problem with vowels usinc accent mark

Hi everybody, i have a small problem and i hope anybody can point me in the
right direction... I have some info that i retrieve from a mysql db. The
info in these fields is entered by my customer, and most of the times he is
using uppercase.

When i show the info on my browser i apply ucfirst(strtolower($string)) and
everything shows ok. I develop on a Windows XP + Apache 2 + PHP 4.3.4 as a
module. But when I upload the site to a production server, strings are ok
except that vowels with accent mark are written in uppercase. e.g.
"Producto para instalaciÓn sin cables". Production server uses linux +
apache (don't know which version) + PHP 4.1.2.

I tried to include a setlocale(LC_ALL,"es_ES") on my code, but nothing
happened...

Any help will come really handy!