Re: How do I access the value of PHP_OS?

David Scott wrote:

In the PHP on Windows chapter of Programming PHP, there is mention of a constant, PHP_OS, that can be used to determine the OS running the server that PHP is on.

The example code is as follows,

<?php
 if (PHP_OS == "WIN32" || PHP_OS == "WINNT") {
   define("INCLUDE_DIR","c:\\myapps");
 } else {
   // some other platform
   define("INCLUDE_DIR", "/include");
 }
?>

However, rather than checking this value, I'd like to see if flat out. I tried this,

<?php
     echo "PHP_OS";
?>

But it didn't work. How can I see the value contained in this constant?

There is a lot of confusion on your head.
That, and you didn't read the whole thing...
The example MUST include the setting of a variable first, named PHP_OS (or better $PHP_OS), and then proceed to the part you show.

If you write
   echo "PHP_OS";
you are echoing a string, not the contents of a variable.

If you do
if (PHP_OS == "WIN32" || PHP_OS == "WINNT") {
you are doing nothing, since PHP_OS is not a variable. It must be preceded by a dollar sign.