php newbie, losing variable scope across functions

Hi, I have an application I'm transferring
to php. Right now I'm in the rough outlining
of functionality stage. The application has
a couple of include files:

1. site-defaults.php
2. xml-functions.php

and the application sets some last minute
variables in the php that includes the other
documents.
unfortunately when I refer to these
variables in the included documents they
don't resolve. So to try and get them to do
so i did the following in my xml-
functions.php

$smenu = "default";
function getparams(){

$params= "<params><param name='cssType'>";
$params = $params . "Dynamic</param>";
$params = $params . "<param
name='menuref'>" .
$smenu . "</param></params>";

return $params;

}

now at this point i would be happy if i
could
get the variable to resolve when declared in
the same file as the function which
references it. (I can of course get the
variable values if i put them into a
function that returns them when asked and
call that function, but that seems like it
shouldn't be the solution.)

please note that the above example's line
breaking is done by my email program, if i
declare $smenu in the getparams function it
resolves fine.

Also if anyone has any code to handle
getparams as a dom builder please pass it
along, as i will have to do that as some
point to complete the application's
funcionality.