PEAR vs. PHPLib

Can anyone shed some light on these two?  Pros and Cons, etc.  I've just
ran across an article that mentions that PHPLib is the "defacto"
standard. I've recently started using the PEAR::DB in a web application
and I'd like to make sure that I'm working with something that is
reliable. Can anyone give me their feelings on these two
(methodologies?) please?

Thank you,
Jim