Replicating Double quotes

Hi all,

I have a problem in that when I am retrieving data from MySQL that containes
double quotes, the double quotes gets repeat, and also the string that does
contain double quotes gets double quotes added to the begin and end of it For
example I get the following:

"16"" Manikin"

>From what should be the following

16" Manikin

Wh I inserted the data into the database I used the 'addslashes' function.
Even when I use the 'stripslashes' the output is still the same.

Anyone have any clues? :-s

Cheers

Tryst