Array Sorting Help

Before I begin I must admit I am a bit new to arrays so please be gentle.

Here is my situation:

I am building an app that queries the database and brings back a result
set.  This resultset contains last name, first name and id.

I am then using the "similar_text" function to weed out only those matches
that fall within a ceratin percentage point...and then placing them into
an array...right now I'm only using a flat indexed array so the array
looks like this :

$matchArray[0] = lastname1
$matchArray[1] = firstname1
$matchArray[2] = numberOfCharsMatch1
$matchArray[3] = percentageMatch1
$matchArray[4] = lastname2
etc...

What I would like to do is to sort the results based on the
"percentageMatch"  Obviously my simple flat array will not do the trick.
I have read about multidimensional arrays but to be honest I'm having a
hard time wrapping my grey matter around how to put it into effect here.

How can I go about A) setting up the array correctly...and B) sorting it
correctly?

Thanks a ton!
Ron