my changes in php.ini are not recognized

I am just starting in php
(but 10 years experience in developping, last 5 years in JAVA).
I have installed on a Windows 2000 PC:
Apache 2.0 as localhost-server, MySQL 4.0.17 and PHP 4.3.4-Win32.
All parts seem to work properly.
My first steps into php also looked quite well.
Next level: sending HTML-forms and then reading the POSTed vars on another
page, also was running fine.

B*U*T, when defining some $_SESSION vars, their values were NOT available on
another page in the same session. (I was using session-start properly).
When testing and experimenting with phpinfo, ini_get(), and similars, I
found this:

The php.ini file is  C:\WINNT\php.ini, also found by
get_cfg_var("cfg_file_path").
When I do some changes in the ini,
maybe for session_save.path (which was "/tmp" and I change to
"C:\PHP\sessiondata"),
and I stop and start the apache again (sometimes I stoped and restarted
Windows), then the ini_get("session.save_path") delivers again "/tmp".
The same happens with other ini-variables: (very important is, to get
error-messages, but I cannot change the specific vars in the ini, better: I
can change, but it has no effect).
I was looking, if there are other "ini"s in my system, but NO. And...
and...and ...:two days work without result.
The question, I see, is: from where does Apache+PHP take the values for the
ini-Params, because from my php.ini obviously  NOT.
Thank you in advance for reading (and laughing ?) about my silly problem.
Maybe, you have an idea, what is to do ?

Buri (say simply "Buri" instead of Burckhardt)