Global Variables and Form Variables

For some reason, the first time I attempt to access a form variable or
global variable PHP does not seem to think it's defined.  For each one
that shows an "undefined" error, I've had to put the following code at
the beginning of the script. Should I have to do this?

<?php
if (!isset($somevar)) {
    $somevar = "";
}
?>

I have the register_globals set to true in the php.ini.  and I restarted
my server.

Any ideas?

Thanks much,
Jim