binary search in php

Hi Again,
After along time i doing my final project in my college, i realize that my program not running like i want it. it take max_execution_time more than 30 second just to read, process the data line by line(split the line and counting the same element), and save the result in another file(this operations need more than 30 second to read more than 12000 lines).
And i want to find another methode, my lecture said that i have to work with "binary search" he said it's more efficient, and faster.
My questions is :
1. How to searching data in array using "binary search methode" and update the data when found it.
because the data, that i have to process is big, with more than 12000 lines.
2. How did i found tutorial about binary search in php.....???
3. If i have php script and when i execute, need max_execution_time more than 30 second it's pretend bad....???

Thanx, for your kindness.
idur