Re: wine application uses all of my memory

You probably should get a more current wine version, 1.3.30, and I assume you don't want to compile yourself, so you should get a binary fitting to the distribution. I don't know, what Backtrack actually is, seems a mixture between debian and Ubuntu, therefore I'd propose to install a mainstream linux like Ubuntu or opensuse for some tests, for them you can get easily binaries.

about "linux version":
What I wanted to say, if you have (access to) a linux installed without any VMs or other virtual machines stuff, will the program behave better when run with wine? Maybe the VMware stuff is interfering with wine's memory management.