lotro - no sound or options alsa/wine 1.3.27

Pre wine version 1.2.26 sound worked fine in lotro and the in game audio options page showed the sound card in a dropdown box and titles for all of the sound option slide bars.

In 1.3.26 and now 1.3.27 there is no sound in game and the audio options window does not show any sound card or titles for the sound options or various volume slider bars and all of the bars are set at minimum. The bars can be raised but doing so does not change anything.

wine version 1.3.27 install from openSuse 11.4 repos
winecfg audio tab settings: alsa driver, hardware acceleration = full (tried on emulation as well with, no change to sound.), default sample rate = 44100, default bits per sample = 16.

hitting the 'test sound' button on the winecfg audio tab plays sound in both full and emulation hardware acceleration options but does give the error:

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA NVidia, disabling mixer fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels

I'm not sure how to tell if those are ignorable fixmes or are part of the problem.

I have checked through my graphic software management tool (yast) and could not find any parts of pulseaudio installed and I also checked by command line to remove anything pulse*.* and pavu*.* so I do not think there is a pulseaudio conflict lurking on the system. The machine is KDE by default and I have tried to keep it gnome free to avoid conflicts.

Google searching showed a similar issue on the game forum which was fixed in windows by renaming the "userpreferences.ini" file found in "my documents" -> "the lord of the rings online" folder and restarting the game so a new .ini was created. Doing so did not change anything for me.

A page on the Codeweavers site says for their set up using alsa and no pulse should work fine, but I do not know how well that applies to wine (http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/cat/?app_id=2869;tips=1) (in the FAQ section of the page under 'lotro has no sound (linux)).

Does anyone have ideas of where or what else I can check, change or test?