Re: Alternative to PulseAudio

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM, DariousBlount
<wineforum-user@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to run ableton live, but the program won't boot up unless pulseaudio driver is unchecked through winecfg.  What can I do about installing maybe a usb audio driver for my audiogram 3?  Can I get a different driver for wine?  This is ableton live we are talking about, and I haven't gotten any sound out of it yet.

In Windows with Ableton Live you would be using the ASIO driver (which
is designed for low latency), so in Linux you will want to look at
using WineASIO + Jack-audio-connection-kit (Jack being a low latency
sound-server).  WineASIO effectively allows you to use the ASIO
driver, but it will route Ableton Live's audio outputs into Jack.  I
doubt ALSA will give you good performance, and i can't remember if
Ableton sees alsa directly or not. you probably better off with
wineASIO/jack.

>From what i remember of using Live in Linux a couple of years ago, the
setup can be a bit of a pain and your mileage will vary. ie: don't
have the expectation that it will run the same or better than in
Windows or MacOSX.

WineASIO link;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio/

you will also need to get the ASIO SDK from steinberg to compile
wineASIO (i don't have a link off hand, google it). and this guide
although geared towards setting up Reaper in wine, has a section on
compiling and installing WineASIO. this site is somewhat dated, but
the compilation is pretty much the same

http://www.davehayes.org/2007/04/27/howto-reaper-on-ubuntu-linux-with-wineasio

info on Jack-audio-connection-kit  (although you should be able to
install jack with your disto's package manager)

http://www.jackaudio.org

going back to my point on 'your milage will vary', have a look at
wine's Application DataBase on Ableton;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=vendor&iId=2619&sAction=view&sTitle=View+Developer

as you can see, you may or may not get it to run very well.

cheerz