X server Display error in Debian Linux with KDE

I use Debian Linux squeeze version wht KDE desktop. I installed wine and am missing most of the destop stuff I have seen in the documentation. I am getting the following when I run winecfg or wine control in my command line console. The X server is definitely running since everything in KDE works fine. Running echo $DISPLAY returns :0

No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

What is $display supposed to return. Any suggestions for how to clear this problem.

Gary R.