rift won't start

I have seen some posts about rift, but none about the problems I am having, I have downloaded the patch, everything should be ready to go, but when I hit the start button, it thinks for a second and then just goes back to the regular "play" button.  I have installed using winetricks.. I am not too familiar with wine, but I did get wow running a while ago..

any help would be greatly appriciated, I would also like to get lotro running, it is downloading right now.  Why dont' they just make linux clients? lol

thanks in advance
neganx