WINE 1.2.2 via UBUNTU 10.10; Low FPS

I am running Command And Conquer Generals Zero Hour (v1.0 had to be patched to NO-CD version) via WINE.

After quite a bit of fiddling around the game runs with WINE but not properly.

When I run generals.exe I get the usual WINE desktop window loading up and the game starts with normal sound but immediately drops to about 1FPS.

On the main menu I can hear the sound fine but still, running at 1FPS.

I am missing something simple?