Mobipocket not detecting usb connected ereader

Anyone have pointers on how to get an ereader assigned a PID so it can use DRM'd .mobi files? The mobipocket software works great on the computer through wine (1.3.8), but when I hook up my ereader to the computer through a usb cable the software is suppose to detect it and assign it an ID code which lets it open the DRM ebook files. The detection is not happening. I can move the files themselves from the computer to the reader, but they won't open without the code.