Re: Using Wine - Random machine switch-off?

On 1/9/11 9:41 AM, Pavel Troller wrote:
carlbeech wrote:
Is there anything that can be done so that when a game goes bang, it doesn't take the system with it? (let me know log files you need if there's anything that can be gleaned from them :-)   )

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-d5f2dcceb129a76261c064fa0ca3cb2876b318e0

Hi!
   This article is good in explaining that wine really cannot make your full
system to crash/reboot/switch off. But it doesn't deal with particular symptoms
and other details of the problem.
   My bell is ringing because
   - it is a notebook
   - it is not crashing, but turning itself off.
   These two pieces of information may indicate a simple reason: OVERHEATING.
I agree. My Macs fans kick in when I'm using Wine. Normally they are quiet.
   Many notebooks have problems with proper cooling under heavy load.
Again, the Dell XPS series usually has multiple fans. Are they running and you can feel a lot of heat from the laptop before it 'dies'?
   Yes, wine running a game can put a very heavy load on your system.
   Please try to verify that your ventilation holes are clear, that they are not
obstructed by something, that the coolers are properly starting (it may be a
bug in Linux ACPI code, which is not starting them properly) and that you are
not burning your fingers when you touch the machine :-).
I agree.  You should not need to blow out your system, but it never hurts.
   You may experiment with trying to play in the cold place, or improve cooling
for example by an external cooling pad or similar means.
I had one of those. It broke at the on/off switch and I had to splice the wires. The the case started to fracture. I also have a Podium Pad, but that is only for systems that take in air from the bottom. Otherwise is it better to place the system on flat non-shiny surface.

There is a Linux application for monitoring your system temperatures, try to find and use it to see if that is what is causing the problem.

James McKenzie