launching error with opengl tag, not without?

If I add the -opengl tag to the launching command for WoW I get a pop up box that says:

"Launcher requires permission to the World of Warcraft Registry key to successfully locate and run the game. Please enable write access to the Registry key using an administrator account."

I regularly switch the game between opengl and d3d and have never seen this before today. I do not get it without the -opengl tag. Can anyone point me in a direction for the problem? I didn't find anything on the appdb that looks wrong for my system.