Re: Installing multiple wine version from Ubuntu Repository?

mr jingle wrote:
> Is possible to install multiple concurrent version of wine from the wine repositories? Reasons to prefer this to building from sources should be obvious, I suppose: easyness in regression testing, compatibility,  installation/removing...

Actually, the reasons you have stated are the reasons to prefer building from source rather than installing binary packages.

As far as I know, you can only have one binary package installed at a time (thus, the answer to your question would be 'No').

However, it is possible to have several built-but-not-technically-"installed" source builds. Atm I have 3-- 1.3.4., which was the currenty-available build when I swapped distros; 1.3.5, the most recently available build; and 1.1.41, the last known good build for Myst, which I felt like playing last week.

>From the terminal, it's easy as pie to switch between which of the compiled (but not installed) binaries you want to use for any particular app, or at any particular time. It's even easier if you're a little familiar with command-line aliases and/or shell scripting. Since the compiled source is not installed, removing it is as simple as... not using it any more (you could always delete the source folder as well, naturally). And of course, since you're working from compiled source, things like regression testing are infinitely more possible than when trying to "extract a pre-compiled binary" such as a *.deb or *.RPM file.

But as far as I'm aware, the key to running multiple wine builds is specifically that they not be installed to the system, which is really only a possibility when compiling source manually (just don't do "make install") rather than under any other circumstances.

Hope this helps.

Holly