Re: Any progress on bug 16147?

On 9/27/2010 3:06 PM, Gert van den Berg wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 20:48, Robert Benjamin<benjie1@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 9/21/2010 3:03 PM, Gert van den Berg wrote:
Wine seem to have a level of v4l support.... (Never realized that....)

Does this mean that some hope is there to get the cameras to work
relatively soon?  :-)
It seem that they might already work in some circumstances.... Whether
that includes the common methods used by applications is another
question... (I know video capture devices under Windows can be
accessed via (at least) two APIs - DirectShow and Video for Windows)
Under Linux, video capture devices can be accessed via Video4Linux /
Video4Linux 2 (and probably an API for Firewire cameras, which may /
may not be the same) Not all cameras have drivers for both V4L and
V4L2 (there is supposed to be some kind of compatibility code
(Allowing you to access both kinds of cameras with a single / both
APIs) I would hope, but it might fail in some cases)

If the support is present, and the debugging messages seem to indicate
that Wine have some kind of v4l code and it implements whatever method
the application is trying to use to access the camera and it
implements enough of it for the capturing to work, it might work
currently...

(A simple app like AMCAP
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd373424.aspx under Wine might
be useful to test what actually works...) (Vidcap32 seem to be the VfW
version: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120750 )

Gert
Thanks Gert. Newbie here so don't understand what you said. Will follow any suggestions you have to get the camera to work. Just not sure what I should do. Don't want to mess up wine 1.3.3 or Ubuntu 10.04 Bob