Total noob question: Wine runs .exe but nothing happens.

I am a fairly new Ubuntu user. I just started using Wine and I'm trying to install a program. I downloaded the install file, set the permissions so it would run as an executable, and opened it in Wine. It opens a new button in the taskbar that says "opening [program].exe", which runs for a few seconds - and then, nothing happens.

Halp?