[Fwd: Trouble with libgsm on Mac OS X 10.6.2]

James Mckenzie wrote:

> I agree with both Ryan and you, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is supposed to do absolutely NOTHING under MacOSX.  However, Wine needs it for some strange reason.  If I leave it out, the built dependency libraries are not found for freetype and fontconfig (and I know that fontconfig is included with MacOSX 10.6 now.)  Otherwise, I get a series of freetype cannot be found, install freetype 2.0.5 or higher.  I'll look at the Fink setup script to see how they did this.

This error can be fixed with DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH...

@executable_path in wine or wineserver will mean the folder the executable is in, then ../ goes back one folder, then it goes into the lib folder where Wine stuff should be.  Wine actually uses @executable_path which makes it easier to be moved around and run from anywhere, where most everything else built (especially from Macports) uses hard set locations from root.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> I'll have to get WineSkin and see what you are doing differently that I'm not.

You can take a look in a Wineskin wrapper at Contents/MacOS/Wineskin.  Its just a bash script (though rather long).  There is a function in there for running Wine with some different launch options.  Every one uses a DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH... but overall the code in there is a mess because I have to handle more than just Wine, and its been slowly modified over several versions... I need to re-write the whole thing some time... since Wineskin version 1.2 (not related to Wine version numbers), i do not use fontconfig at all... for some reason when I do, it often takes 30+ seconds to start Wine as it caches fonts for the user in the $HOME/Library/Application Support/Wine.  Wine runs fine without it other than sometimes having to install fonts, but easily done with Winetricks.

I think Macports does the same thing.. using DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH.  They install a bash script.. and the "wine" file in bin is just that bash script not the real wine program... and it sets this on run for the user.