Re: Is Wine intended to support DRM?

leoplan2 wrote:
James McKenzie wrote:
leoplan2 wrote:

dimesio wrote:

leoplan2 wrote:

For example, the Windows Media DRM, or iTunes DRM...

Windows Media Player DRM won't work in Wine. I don't really know much about iTunes as I don't use it myself, but none of the reports in the AppDB suggest DRM doesn't work in it. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1347

ok, is it possible (or difficult) to implement support for some DRM in Wine?. I say this because I'm thinking to support Netflix under Linux, using a hacked version of Wine (w/full support of Silverlight 4) and a Web Client, like a Web Application.
I'm not trying to break the PlayReady DRM :P

One thing is doesn't Netflix provide Linux support? If not, I would be asking for it.

I'll step in and state that Windows DRM appears to be patented. Now, that being said, there is nothing that prevents building experimental code to support DRM but it will be a lengthy work (if you doubt this, take a look at the progress on DIB in bugzilla.)

Right now, Wine does not support DRM and I don't expect to see it anytime soon.

James McKenzie

Ok. Thanks! As soon as posible, I'll try to get some experimental code in order to support Silverlight 4 under Wine.

Good luck. Silverlight may be checking for a legal Windows installation. We cannot duplicate that by copywrite/patent law(s). You might want to read the End User License Agreement as well. It may prohibit installation on non-Windows systems (M$ has gone to this.)
 I think I'll hire some developers and hackers to do this :P. Thanks

If you have success, please advise. Remember, this project only can accept code created in a 'clean-room' (white) engineering environment. There are legal reasons for this and we don't want to run afoul of the legion of lawyers M$ has.

James McKenzie